…Huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of the earth…
Indeed, we huddled, 2 ½ months later, around CNN international projected from the TV onto the wall, and there were more than 30 of us, and there was a potluck, and we all sat, on couches, cushions and floors, and some stood, and we cheered, and cried, and shared the historic moment, so that we’ll always remember, when somebody asks us in the future, where were you on that day, we can say, I was in Lusaka, Zambia, in a house on Martin Luther King Rd., watching with 30 of my closest American and non-American (Canadian, Australian, Dutch, British) friends.
In honor of the occasion, I made a cake and
In the taxi on the way home, they were playing over the inauguration speech on the radio, and the next day, all the Zambians were asking if I had watched. They love him here. They fight over Obama shirts. They have pictures of him on their desks at work, next to the family photos, cousin Obama.
No comments:
Post a Comment