Tbilisi
Fabulous conglomeration of very old, sort of old, soviet old, new, and uber new, all in some combination that I've never experienced before. Open excavations of ancient streets below modern streets, next to 19th century two story buildings with Middle Eastern style grates, next to Soviet Block apartment buildings, next to wide tree lined majestic European boulevards, next to glass and steel modern architecture. Churches galore both old and new, a mosque, a synagogue. Influences of Mongols, Turks, Arabs, Persians, Russians, and something unique altogether. Georgia has their own alphabet, unlike any other I've seen.
The people are absolutely lovely. Friendly, talkative, wanting to get to know us in a positive, unpushy, not trying to sell you something kind of way. Every taxi driver has a tourist tip, and a political opinion. The women are beautiful and fashionable, well dressed enough to fit in with any of the great fashion cities of Europe. The men are good looking, although seem to enjoy their overly tight clothing.
Parliamentary elections are tomorrow. The two choices seem to be the lesser of two evils, and even that is giving them credit. The opposition party rally yesterday was the most peaceful gathering I have ever seen, a family day gathering, with people of all ages, classes, manner of dress, gathering with balloons, flags, music. Not a policeman to be seen. Hopefully it will stay that way after the elections as well.
As I stroll my way through town, up and down mountains, through plazas and narrow streets, over bridges and to rooftops, I sample tastes of Georgian cuisine - Khachapuri (cheesy bread), eggplant and walnut puree, cold spinach fritters, smoked cheeses, all garnished with pomegranate seeds, fresh juice galore, and lots of Turkish coffee.
A very cool city through and through.
Fabulous conglomeration of very old, sort of old, soviet old, new, and uber new, all in some combination that I've never experienced before. Open excavations of ancient streets below modern streets, next to 19th century two story buildings with Middle Eastern style grates, next to Soviet Block apartment buildings, next to wide tree lined majestic European boulevards, next to glass and steel modern architecture. Churches galore both old and new, a mosque, a synagogue. Influences of Mongols, Turks, Arabs, Persians, Russians, and something unique altogether. Georgia has their own alphabet, unlike any other I've seen.
The people are absolutely lovely. Friendly, talkative, wanting to get to know us in a positive, unpushy, not trying to sell you something kind of way. Every taxi driver has a tourist tip, and a political opinion. The women are beautiful and fashionable, well dressed enough to fit in with any of the great fashion cities of Europe. The men are good looking, although seem to enjoy their overly tight clothing.
Parliamentary elections are tomorrow. The two choices seem to be the lesser of two evils, and even that is giving them credit. The opposition party rally yesterday was the most peaceful gathering I have ever seen, a family day gathering, with people of all ages, classes, manner of dress, gathering with balloons, flags, music. Not a policeman to be seen. Hopefully it will stay that way after the elections as well.
As I stroll my way through town, up and down mountains, through plazas and narrow streets, over bridges and to rooftops, I sample tastes of Georgian cuisine - Khachapuri (cheesy bread), eggplant and walnut puree, cold spinach fritters, smoked cheeses, all garnished with pomegranate seeds, fresh juice galore, and lots of Turkish coffee.
A very cool city through and through.
No comments:
Post a Comment